Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Arts: Bryce Dallas Howard.

Tomorrow, I'm interviewing Bryce Dallas Howard.
She's Ron Howard's daughter, but has made quite the name for herself in her own films (The Village, Lady in the Water, As You Like It, Terminator: Salvation, and, of course, the upcoming Twilight: Eclipse).
But what I think I love most about this girl is that she's smart.
Well-studied, well-read, and well-philosophized, she prefers Kierkegaard to Freud, Existentialism to Nihilism, and promotes things like Biodynamic Farming (which is based on the fascinating tenets of anthroposophy.)
This photo of her reminds me of John Singer Sargent's Madame X. It's like a modern day rendition.
(Things have come a long way since the 1884 Paris Salon, where scandal and outrage made Sargent withdraw his "anonymous" portrait of Madame Gautreau and paint her strap securely in place.)
I must admit- I'm a little nervous about this interview. I still haven't figured out my angle, or what I want to distill from her. Perhaps she'll do the talking and let me think on the fly. (Forest Whitaker took awhile to warm up to me, though, so I'm hoping this one starts a little better...)

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment