Sunday, April 10, 2011

I Wish...


I just saw a production of Into the Woods.
I'm obsessed with this show. It has so much latent meaning, a working walking talking singing metaphor in fairy-tale archetypical garb.
Everyone wishes for something, but even when you get what you wanted, it's never what you expected. So you realign yourself and move on, forever seeking the equilibrium that comprises your happily ever after.
"I Wish," say Cinderella and Jack and the Baker and his wife, and even the Witch.
It makes you think. What is it you wish for?
What fills up your star-gazing mind? When you blow on that dandelion.
When each penny plunges to the bottom of the well,
when you've chucked little 1 and 2 cent euros at Bernini's Trevi,
what thought does the coin carry with it?

There are few things as desperate as a dreamer who has lost their dream.
There are those who live and breathe the hope of life, who see each chapter in life as new pages in a fairy tale. (I am one of those people. Are you?) Sometimes it's hard to see that first star in the night sky. Sometimes you forget that that little penny stands for more than legal tender of the realm. Sometimes you just forget what the dream is, and you have to find it again. (I think that's where I am right now.)

You know what's nice though?
"Hard to see the light now, just don't let it go. Things will come out right now, we can make it so. Someone is on your side; No one is alone."
pictures: Wish Jar by Bethany Howson, Into the Woods book cover, girl on swing by bazzabent at deviantART.com, Witch image by unknown illustrator, still from Disney's Pinnochio, dandelion girl from stumbleupon.com, still from Disney's Snow White, Cinderella illustration by A.H.Watson, still from La Dolce Vita, "Waiting 4 U 2 make a wish by ~mojofire at deviantART, scrabble wish from guerrillanerd.blogspot, friends in the window from tweexcore.tumblr.

2 comments:

  1. I love "Into The Woods!" I was in a productiion of that show when I was in sixth grade. It was a junior production, and I was Jack's Mother. I'm in eleventh grade now, and have been in many shows since, and "Into The Woods" has been my favorite show. It's a great story with a great underlying story, about wishes and hopes like you pointed out. Love the post! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a gorgeous, GORGEOUS post, my darling. Is it alright if I quote it in the future on Sparkles&Crumbs? I really love it - it both expresses how I feel right now, and also gives me hope. :) xx

    ReplyDelete