Thursday, June 24, 2010

Spirited Away...

"Once you've met someone, you never really forget them."

In an attempt to restore a little magic into life, I'm diving into some Miyazaki. Have you ever seen Miyazaki's films? Out of Ghibli studios in Japan, these films are still animated by hand. They are full of wonder and magic, myth and legend, hope and trial and innocence and triumph. And no matter whether characters play heroes or villains, they always have a reason for what they do; each is multi-faceted. Here are some color-sorted stills from Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away.... The last is from My Neighbor, Totoro, which I haven't seen yet....





If you're looking for a fantastic visual escape, open your eyes to Miyazaki's work.

2 comments:

  1. Howl's Moving Castle is one of my favorite movies! Visually, it stuns me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated 100th post!!! And thank you so much for your lovely comment - I feel just the same about your blog. More so, because it makes me feel very cultural to see all the gorgeous art you post - and movies like this, which I would never consider watching normally. Since you recommend it, I'll definitely borrow it from my friend and give it a watch! xx

    ReplyDelete